Wednesday, March 15, 2006

the writer reads

Haven't had the energy, physically or emotionally, to write this week, so I've been reading (and trying very hard to not feel guilty about it). Here is what's on my nightstand (and yes, I really am reading in ALL of these books currently- I am a reading FREAK):

Reaching For The Invisible God by Philip Yancey
Getting my regularly-needed doubt and confusion remedy.

Sin and Syntax: How to Craft Wickedly Effective Prose
by Constance Hale
I LOVE THIS BOOK! Coined "the grammar book of the new millenium," it is a BLAST to read! I recommend it to anyone who is interested in writing. Good, good stuff! Bear in mind, however, that this comes from the same woman who confessed she enjoys diagraming sentences!

Queen Bees and Wannabes by Rosalind Wiseman
First grade and we're already inducted into the world of cliques and mean girls. Ugh. This is the most recent, and probably best, book on the subject.

Mean Girls by Hayley DiMarco
Same topic but written for MS girls by a Chrisitan author. I read bits of it with my daughter. She is beginning to recognize that she is sometimes a "mean girl" at home and trying to change that behavior. I'll let you know how it goes.

The Prison Poems by Deitrich Bonhoeffer
Written while in the concentration camp--very interesting. Includes commentary by the translator.

The Ordering of Love by Madeleine L'Engle
The complete collection of poems by my favorite author. Delicious. Especially her collection of sonnets "To a long-loved love." Five stars and two thumbs up.

Well, I'm spent. Guess I'll go curl up with Max in the sunshine and get back to some serious reading...

3 comments:

danthress said...

Mean girls—very interesting. I'm on a sub assignment for the rest of the year, and the kids are very cutting to one another. The 6th graders are the worst. When 22 kids get this hate thing going amongst themselves the stink is unbearable. Will these books tell me why they do it?

lorie said...

It does go into some explaination, Dan. Odd Girl Out: The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls by Rachel Simmons does as well. It is a horrible, terrible thing--ugly as, well, you know...

danthress said...

Thanks Lorie.

This week I video tapped my choirs. Yesterday I played back the tape for them. Most of these kids were very shocked at what type of emotion they were projecting. I wrote a questionaire for them to fill out and most of the comments were, "I really need to smile more."

Anyway, it was very interesting to show them what God sees from them all day long. I call it "the mirror" program.