Friday, November 11, 2005

but Mom, everybody's doing it...

I was inspired by Dan who was inspired by Louise The Poet who was undoubtedly inspired by someone else, so we wrote haiku during our freewriting time at part one of our writer’s group retreat tonight. Here were my attempts:

for my daughter:

curly-headed sprite
energy meets emotion
glorious fireworks


for my son:

behind big brown eyes
wheels turning unceasingly
ornery little imp



for my husband:

eyes of heathered green
crinkle around the edges
tell me nothing’s changed
I'll work on visual presentation later--just wanted to get them posted.

9 comments:

danthress said...

Ha!
5-7-5's are very addictive.
I didn't know if I could write a longer form
but I did this week at the arts conference.

yeah, writers (and photographers)

lorie said...

I assume you're going to post some juicy stuff from the conference? I'd love to hear about it!

lorie said...

And, yes, they are very compelling. I'm thinking of trying to discipline myself to do one or two a day to work on being more concise and deliberate with my words.

danthress said...

Yes, I have so much to tell from the conference. It was excellent. I'm going to try to get it out!

Anonymous said...

wow. good work. when i started writing, i knew no one who wrote poetry, so my original inspirations are the likes of emily dickenson and wallace stevens and william carlos williams. now I am surrounded by people who constantly inspire me -- to be a better poet, to be a better person.

Thank you.

lorie said...

Thank you, Louise! For the record, you inspired me as well. Loved your reading at the last jazz slam, and have enjoyed peeking at your site from time to time!

moshpitmarsha said...

Lori

I just wanted to let you know I enjoyed the retreat. I liked having the opportunity to experiment with haiku. I have been reading Dan Thress's blog for a while.

I also enjoyed having the opportunity of sharing one of my expressions I worked on for over a month. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share "A Dance."

lorie said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Marsha! Your poem was great- glad you got to read it!

Lefty Sloane said...

The retreat was great! It let me peer thru the window into the lives of our writers. All of whom I enjoyed very much.
I must say I was most moved by the poetry, it showed a lot of heart and the fiction writers are completely facinating. Thanks so much.