Sunday, November 13, 2005

setting the record straight

When I am no longer the most important woman in his life and the object of his bright sunny smiles and sticky wet kisses…

When I am no longer the one he calls in the middle of the night when the dark is a heavy presence overwhelming his young, tender heart…

When I am no longer the one he runs to with skinned knees or lady bugs or untied shoes or boo-boos needing the magic kiss of a mother…

When I am no longer his leading lady and another woman moves to center stage, joining him in the soft glow of the spotlight…

When I have shifted into my proper place on the distant home planet of his ever-expanding, ever-exciting universe…

When it all happens, as it all should, and the one who has captured the heart of the one who captured mine holds her breath as he bends down on one knee, takes her hand, and asks her the question every girl’s heart dreams of hearing, I simply want the record to show…

…he asked me, first.

2 comments:

danthress said...

great ending!

lorie said...

Thanks, Dan!

Nancy- how do you EVER let it go?!